Saturday, July 9, 2011

Not working, Yet Working Hard

One of my biggest fears of ending work was that I would go crazy at home all day. This is far from the truth so far. I've been off work for 2 weeks now and busier and happier than ever. We've moved into a 1 bedroom finally and life is glorious! Our place has more space, privacy, is conveniently located close to the laundry and mail facilities, and best of all, it is a welcoming abode to our neighbors, family and friends! No more awkward visits from people who sit and look at our bed, dirty clothes, and bathroom without leaving the couch!

During my time home I've been able to ride my bike to the beach to cool off, get burned and relieve the physical strains of the baby by swimming. I'm a big fan of sunscreen now because the sunburned beach ball look wasn't workin for me.  Lesson learned.
Bumble Bump

I've discovered that my love for fashion and custom alterations is not limited to clothing for myself anymore. Altering baby clothes is amazingly fulfilling! I've gotten a lot of handy downs and have had great fun makin them something special for our baby girl. Speaking of her... I am 35 weeks now and still going strong! I have a dr appointment this week but so far she's over 5 lbs and still in position to make her move! I think we've decided on the name Dresden (a city in my parent's mission that we visited on ou trip to Germany) but we'll call her Dre for short.


Hapa according to Wikipedia " is a Hawaiian language term used to describe a person of mixed Pacific Islander racial or ethnic heritage." aka our beautiful baby!
Erykah Badu Stenciled Newborn T

Amidst my journey of altering baby clothes I decided to try a pillow for our couch with the leftover fabric from the lamp I made. But for some reason I wanted ruffles on it, and that required me to learn how to make ruffles first. I really like how they turned out and can't wait to use my new technique on more baby stuff! Ruffles are really trendy right now but I hope I can explore ways to give them a different kinda of twist.

After
Before

Nothing a little spray paint and fabric can't fix

Leftovers!